TRAVELING AND EARTH MOVING OPERATIONS CONTINUED
10. As the moldboard crosses the project start line, apply enough down pressure on both heel and toe to penetrate
the surface 0.5 in. (12 mm).
Figure 24. Adjust Moldboard to Penetrate Surface.
11. Maintain a straight course, adjusting the moldboard slightly to carry the material the length of the project.
N OT E
Feathering is a process accomplished by raising the moldboard in 1/2 to 1 inch
increments, while in a forward motion. Two or three seconds are recommended between
each upward adjustment until all the material in front of the moldboard passes under it.
12. Be sure to feather the material out at the end of the pass.
Figure 25. Feathering Material.
13. After the material is feathered to a smooth termination, pull off at a 45 degree angle to the toe side.
14. Stop the grader and straighten the front wheels.
15. Raise both lift cylinders until the moldboard is high enough to clear all obstacles.
16. Position the grader to straddle the windrow just made and back up straight to the start point. Ensure the
windrow is between the wheels, and do not drive on top of it.
17. Stop the grader just outside the boundary line.
END OF TASK