TRAVELING AND EARTH MOVING OPERATIONS CONTINUED
20. Place the grader in forward motion and maintain a position and course so the tow of the moldboard passes
directly over the center of the ditch.
21. Apply enough down pressure on the toe side to skim the material from the shoulder. Do not cut the shoulder.
Figure 49. Lower the Blade to the Ground.
22. As the grader passes the finishing point of the ditch, continue forward until all the material in front of the
moldboard passes under it or is windrowed off the heel.
23. Continue forward until enough space is available to position the grader to back up to straddle the windrow.
C AU T I O N
Do not back the grader in the wide reach position. A safety factor is apparent; the
moldboard would be extended out past the tires. By placing the moldboard in the right
hand general grading position, the safety factor is minimized and the moldboard is
positioned to execute the next maneuver.
24. Stop the grader and place the moldboard in the right hand general grading position.
25. Ensure the front wheels are straight up and down prior to backing the grader.
26. Back the grader to the starting point by straddling the windrow.
N OT E
Steps 27 through 33 pertain to skimming the surface to spread material towards center
establishing a crown in the road.
27. Stop the grader outside the starting point of the project and lean the wheels toward the heel.
28. Adjust the heel approximately 2-3 in. (50-75 mm) off the surface and ensure that the toe is just touching the
Figure 50. Adjusting Blade to Deliver Material.