TRAVELING AND EARTH MOVING OPERATIONS CONTINUED
22. As the grader passes the finishing point of the ditch, continue forward until all the material in front of the
moldboard passes under it or is windrowed off the heel.
23. Continue forward until enough space is available to position the grader to back up to straddle the windrow.
C AU T I O N
Do not back the grader in the wide reach position. A safety factor is apparent; the
moldboard would be extended out past the tires. By placing the moldboard in the left hand
general grading position, the safety factor is minimized and the moldboard is positioned to
execute the next maneuver.
24. Stop the grader and place only the moldboard in the left hand general grading position.
25. Ensure the front wheels are straight up and down prior to backing the grader.
26. Back the grader to the starting point by straddling the windrow.
N OT E
Steps 27 through 33 pertain to skimming the surface to spread material towards center
establishing a crown in the road.
27. Stop the grader outside the starting point of the project and lean the wheels toward the heel.
28. Adjust the heel approximately 2-3 in. (50-75 mm) off the surface and ensure that the toe is just touching the
Figure 60. Adjusting Blade to Deliver Material.
29. Place the grader in forward motion and maintain a straight course by keeping the grader centered on the
N OT E
With the heel raised approximately 2-3 in. (50-75 mm), the loose material from the ditch
should pass under and off the heel of the moldboard, thereby establishing the crown of the
30. Skim the shoulder of the road with the toe and spread the windrow to form the surface of the road.
31. At the end of the pass, ensure the material is feathered prior to stopping the grader.
32. Straighten the front wheels and raise both lift cylinders all the way up.
33. Reposition the grader at the finishing end of the project. The grader should be positioned to establish a V-ditch
on the other side of the project area going the opposite direction.