PARKING BRAKE TEST
The following test determines if the parking brake is functional. This test is intended to measure the maximum
brake holding effort. The brake holding effort that is required to prevent a machine from moving at a specific engine
rpm varies depending on the machine. The variations are the differences in engine setting, in powertrain efficiency,
in brake holding ability, etc.
WARN I N G
Personal injury can result if the machine moves while testing the parking brake. If the
machine begins to move during the test, reduce the engine speed immediately and apply
the service brake.
Check area around the machine. Ensure the machine is clear of personnel and obstacles.
Test the parking brake on a dry, level surface.
Fasten the seat belt before testing the parking brake.
Failure to follow these warnings ma result to injury to personnel.
N OT E
Operator must be present and seated in the cab during this entire test.
1. Start and idle the engine, and synchronize left steering joystick (TM 5-3805-293-10).
2. Ensure parking brake is engaged (TM 5-3805-293-10).
3. Raise implements slightly (TM 5-3805-293-10).
4. Depress transmission modulator control pedal (TM 5-3805-293-10).
N OT E
Do not apply the service brake.
This step must be completed within 2 seconds.
5. Depress upshift control four times to select 5F.
N OT E
When the transmission is shifted into 5F and the parking brake is engaged, a Warning
Category 3 will occur.
6. When display shows 5F, shift transmission to FORWARD direction (TM 5-3805-293-10).
7. With engine at full throttle, slowly release transmission control pedal until machine stalls.
8. Shift transmission control switch to NEUTRAL position (TM 5-3805-293-10).
C AU T I O N
Do not shut down the engine until the oil is cooled properly. Do not repeat the test
procedure until the oil is cooled down properly. Transmission temperature is cool when
temperature stabilizes. Failure to follow this caution may result in damage to equipment.
9. Start and run engine at 1,500 rpm for at least two minutes to cool transmission oil.