END OF TASK
Extreme cold causes many problems that an operator must be aware of, such as:
2. Batteries may freeze or lose their electrical efficiency.
3. Electrical insulation may crack and cause short circuits.
5. Various materials will become hard, brittle, and easily damaged.
6. Cooling system requires adequate protection from extreme cold.
7. Fuels, lubricants, and antifreeze compounds require special storage, handling, and use.
8. Refer to FM 9-207, FM 31-70, and FM 31-71 for additional cold weather operational information.
1. Perform all Before PMCS checks and services (WP 0013).
2. Lubricate in accordance with LO 5-3805-293-13.
3. Check to ensure tires and ground engaging tools are not frozen to ground.
4. Drain a small amount of fuel from the fuel/water separator to ensure fuel is not gelled (WP 0013).
C AU T I O N
If oil is too cold to drip off oil level gauge, do not attempt to start engine. Notify Field Level
5. Check engine and transmission/differential oils to ensure they are thin enough to flow. Oil must be thin enough
to drip from oil level gauge (dipstick).
6. Ensure ether starting aid cylinder is in place and not empty (WP 0021).
Starting Procedures Machine NOT Equipped with Arctic Kit
C AU T I O N
When ambient temperature is above 0°F (-18°C), do not crank engine for more than 30
seconds. Allow starting motor to cool for two minutes before cranking again or damage to
starting motor or batteries may result.
When ambient temperature is between -1°F (-18°C) and -25°F (-32°C), it may be
necessary to crank engine for up to 60 seconds.
When ambient temperature is between -26°F (-32°C) and -40°F (-40°C), it may be
necessary to crank engine for up to 120 seconds.
Shut down engine immediately if engine system indicator or action light indicator comes
on. Notify Field Maintenance. Failure to follow this caution may result in damage to engine
or other machine systems.
2. Check that oil pressure light on instrument panel goes out within 10 seconds of engine starting.
3. Allow engine to idle for at least five minutes before moving machine.