DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY
1. If a new pulley has been installed on alternator,
tighten the nut that holds it to a torque of 75 -
90 lb.ft. (100 - 120 Nm).
2. Put the alternator (1) in position in the vehicle
and install the three wires (2) on the alternator.
3. Put the alternator on support and install bolt
(3) hand tight. Hold alternator in position.
Install bolt hand tight to hold strap to alterna-
4. Put vee belts (4) in position on the alternator
5. Use a belt tension gauge such as a Borroughs
Tool Company Part No. BT-33-72C or an
equivalent and make an adjustment of vee
belts. Measure the belt farthest from the en-
gine. Tighten new belts until gauge indication
is 120 ± 5 lb.ft. (534 ± 22 N). Operate the
engine at high idle for a minimum of 30 min-
utes after Step 6. Make another adjustment of
the belt tension. The correct gauge indication
for a used belt is 90 ± 10 lb. (400 ± 44 N).
Tighten the bolts that hold the alternator in
6. Close the screen and install the bolts that hold