DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY
Remove bearing (28) from shaft (27) with
Remove bearing cup (29) from the housing
with tooling (K). Remove the lip-type seal
from the housing. Remove the bearing cup
from the other end of the housing with a
hammer and a punch.
Do Steps 1 through 27 for the other final
ASSEMBLE FINAL DRIVES
A BC D E F G H I J
Retaining Ring Pliers
1. Lower the temperature of bearing cup (1).
Install bearing cup (1) in the housing.
2. Install the seal in the housing with tooling
(J). Install the seal with the lip toward
bearing cup (1). Put clean oil on the seal.
3. Put inner housing (4) in position on blocks
as shown. Lower the temperature of the
bearing cup and install it in the housing.
4. Heat bearing (7) in oil to a maximum
temperature of 275oF (135oC). Install
bearing (7) on shaft (6). Install the shaft
and the bearing in the bearing cup and
5. Put ring gear (2) in position on housing (4).
Install plates (5) in the groove of the ring
gear. Install the locks and bolts (3) on the
plates. Bend the locks against the bolts.