Air Intake System
The primary element should be replaced after being
cleaned a maximum of 6 times. Replace the element
once a year even though it has not been cleaned 6
Never service the air cleaner when
the engine is running.
3. Clean and inspect the element. See "Cleaning Air
Service the filter elements when the RED indicator locks
in the visible position.
If the indicator still shows RED shortly after the
installation of the clean primary element, install a new
Always inspect primary element before
and after cleaning, with a light bulb
inside the element. Discard element if
any tears, rips or damage is evident.
4. Install the clean element and cover. Reset the filter
Tighten the cover retainer bolts to 4
1. Remove the cover and primary element.
Nm (3 lb ft).
2. Clean the inside of the body and cover.
1. Remove the cover and primary element. Remove
and discard the secondary element.
2. Cover the air inlet opening with tape.
3. Clean the entire air cleaner, including the precleaner.
Remove clamp and lift precleaner off. Clean it in
nonflammable solvent. Install the precleaner.
4. Uncover the air inlet opening.
5. Inspect the gasket between the filter housing and air
intake manifold. If the gasket is damaged, or the
housing was separated from the manifold, remove the
gasket, clean mounting surface and install a new gasket.
6. Install new secondary element. Torque element nuts
to 25 7 Nm (20 5 lb ft).
element. Do not attempt to reuse the
element by cleaning.
7. Install a clean primary element and cover.
Replace the secondary element at the time the primary
8. Reset the filter indicator.
element is cleaned for the third time.