FLOW METER TEE TEST PROCEDURE IX
PREPARATION OF SYSTEM FOR TEST
The Tee Test is a method of testing a hydraulic
1. Open the manual load valve fully (turn
system under conditions as close as possible to those
existing when the system is working. When used
2. Start the diesel engine.
correctly, the Tee Test will find a problem. When used
3. With the engine at 2000 rpm, slowly turn the
as part of a preventive maintenance program, it will give
manual load valve clockwise until the pressure
an indication of a problem that can cause a failure.
goes up to 1000 psi.
4. Look at the oil temperature.
Data recording sheets are available in pads of
5. When the oil temperature is 100F, turn the
50. Copies can be ordered by the following form
manual load valve clockwise until the pressure is
6. When the oil temperature is 160F, move all
System Test, Form 1
cylinders and motor several times through full
System Test, Form 2
Pump Test, Form 1
7. Move the cylinders and motor through their
Blocked Component Test, Form 1
cycles as long as necessary to get the desired oil
Blocked Component Test, Form 2
temperature of 150F all through the system.
SYSTEM TESTS (CHARTS A AND B)
1. With the engine stopped, remove the cap on the
Write Down the Basic Test Data
hydraulic tank to release any pressure and then
2. Remove the plug for the tee test.
Conditions in the hydraulic system
must be constant before writing
down the test data. The U control
Some machines do not have a tee
levers must be held in the exact
test plug and it will be necessary to
position desired. Best results are
remove the pump supply line
found when oil temperature is 150-
(pressure line from the pump) from
the combination valve and insert the
tee tap fitting in the line.
Test 1: Maximum Pressure Relief Valve Setting
Do not install the adapter for
1. Stop the engine and loosen the fill cap on the
hydraulic tank to relieve any pressure. Tighten
(pressure line from the pump)
or the return line assembly
2. Remove the plug from the end of the pump and
with the engine running.
install a 5P2683 Stop.
Injury to personnel can result.
3. Start the engine and run it at the rpm for the
3. Install the return line assembly in the filter cover.
Be sure the manual control valve is in
A plain coupler will not open
OPEN position before the engine is
valve in the adapter for the
pump supply line.
4. Look at the flow gauge (gpm) and slowly turn the
valved coupler against valved
manual control valve toward the CLOSED
5. The flow gauge will move slowly toward less
gpm with the increase in pump leakage. When
the hand in the gauge makes fast short
movements, stop turning the manual control
5. Install the cable between the generator and the