GENERAL MAINTENANCE INFORMATION. (cont)
Hydraulic System Maintenance. (cont)
(10) Take protective caps or plugs off all tubes, lines, fittings, receptacles and connectors before they are
(11) Make sure connection points and insides of all tubes, lines and fittings are clean before installing them.
Sealing compound and solvent burn easily and can give off harmful
vapors. To avoid injury, keep away from open fire and use in a well
Dry cleaning solvent P-D-680, used to clean parts is toxic and flammable.
Wear protective goggles and gloves and use only in a well ventilated
area. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes. Do not breathe the
vapors. Do not use near open flame or excessive heat. Do not smoke
while using it. Failure to do so may cause INJURY. If you become dizzy
while using cleaning solvent, immediately seek fresh air, and if
necessary, medical attention. If contact with skin or clothes is made,
flush thoroughly with water. If the solvent contacts your eyes, wash with
water immediately and obtain medical help.
(12) Before you put connection points together again, wipe off openings with solvent P-D-680 and a clean
rag. If sealing compound was used around connection points, make sure it is removed.
(13) Put a light coat of lubricant, same as lubricant in system being worked on, on all preformed packing
before installing packing.
Lubricating oil MIL-L-23699 or MIL-L-7808 can cause skin rash. If oil
gets on skin or clothing, wash with soap and water.
(14) Put lubricating oil on all threads, except pipe (tapered) threads, before you screw parts together.
(15) Always screw on and tighten tubes, hoses and fittings by hand to make sure that they are not cross-
threaded. Tighten with two wrenches whenever possible until you feel solid resistance, then tighten 1/4 turn more