ELECTRICAL SYSTEM TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURES - CONTINUED
TEST OR INSPECTION
Engine Will Not Crank.
1. Replace any cracked, leaking,
a. Visually inspect batteries for
cracks, leaks, and corroded or
corroded, or broken batteries or
broken terminal posts.
batteries with loose or broken terminal
2. Clean corroded terminal posts.
b. Check for loose, broken, or worn
1. Tighten any loose terminal or cable.
terminals and cables.
2. Replace any terminal or cable that is
c. Check electrolyte level in each
Fill each cell to fill ring with distilled
battery cell (TM 9-6410-200-14).
d. Perform specific gravity test (TM
1. Charge all batteries not meeting
9-6410-200-14). Batteries must test
requirements and recheck specific
1.240 or greater, temperature
corrected, and each cell in battery
2. If 25 point variation still exists, battery
must test within 25 points of the
is defective and must be replaced (WP
3. Tighten battery ground wire at tractor
chassis ground. Tighten battery
positive wire at starter solenoid. If the
problem still exists, go to Test 2.
If STE/ICE-R is available, perform STE/ICE-R testing (WP 0014 00).
Test batteries under load to determine
adequate current capability and
voltage drop during a 15 second